Sunday, February 28, 2010

Silence.

This story caught my eye as a baseball coach. I'm fortunate enough to coach in a league where incidents like this are rare. I believe it's due partially to the fact that about half our coaches have no children in the league.

The best way to limit parent misconduct comes from the example set by the coaches. Good coaches set the tone for players and parents, especially if they stress teaching more than winning. However, some parents coach their own children and get too emotionally involved in a win or loss. (I've noticed kids less upset than parents after tough losses. They have a better sense of perspective.)

I feel badly for this league, its players, and the refs. (Assuming the league wasn't overreacting.) It should have never come to this. In the grand scheme of things, these games matter less than the lessons learned.

No comments: