Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Just say no to green plastic hats and The Unicorn Song!

First, A Guide for Surviving St. Patrick's Day.

A song from the Dropkick Murphys about those who make it to last call on St. Patrick's Day:


Come Out Ye Black and Tans was the first Irish song I remember hearing Butch Moore and Maeve Mulvaney perform live at the Irish Festival at Holy Cross in 1980.  (This version is by the Wolfe Tones.)


The Dubliners performing Dirty Old Town:


One of the best live traditional bands I've ever seen, Solas:


My favorite version of Tommy Makem's classic, Four Green Fields:


A version of There Were Roses written by Tommy Sands.  My favorite version is by Robbie O'Connell, Mick Moloney, Jimmy Keane and Liz Carroll, but I couldn't find a video version of it.


And finally, for the dearly departed:

1 comment:

Cionaodh said...

I don't do green beer or plastic hats, either. When I was young, we called people "Plastic Paddy" if they were into such things.

I was at the same festival at Holy Cross that you attended. The music was a bit mediocre, as I recall -- things got somewhat better when they moved the festival to Worcester State College a few years later.

Makem & the Clancy Brothers in the 60s/70s helped me wean my grandparents off the hokey old stuff like MacNamara's Band & Danny Boy.

Here are a couple of my favourites from the 70s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8FpXnQnJ_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6TdrU-PrcA